1. I remember thinking there was nothing more beautiful than fog on a football field.
2. I remember cuckoo spit.
3. I remember being frightened of Wass Water in the Lake District because the water was so dark and deep.
4. I remember wearing garters to hold up my socks.
5. I remember Nina Baden Semper.
6. I remember skimming stones.
7. I remember ‘Jesamine’ by The Casuals.
8. I remember the first book I ever read to myself, a book of mountaineers. I liked the story of Edmund Whymper and the Matterhorn especially.
9. I remember my first French lessons and wondering if all those in France thought in English but had to translate everything into this other language.
10. I remember Pussy Cat Willum.
11. I remember steam trains.
12. I remember Jamboree bags.
13. I remember the Galloping Gourmet.
14. I remember nearly drowning after diving under the cover of a swimming pool.
15. I remember the Common Market.
16. I remember reading Coral Island, and years later Lord of the Flies, which inverts the whole premise of R.M. Ballantyne’s novel of another age.
17. I remember the children’s singalongs at Saturday morning cinema.
18. I remember Sunday School.
19. I remember being held up to listen to the ticking of a watch.
20. I remember the Beatles breaking up.
21. I remember my grandmother, but only just the one time, meeting her in the street in Tunbridge Wells when quite young. Five years’ acquaintance, and only the one memory.
22. I remember the deep shock the first time I was stung by a bee.
23. I remember Jack Frost on the windows.
24. I remember the Love Bug.
25. I remember reading a football magazine profile of Jimmy Greaves which said he played for Chelsea and Spurs and wondering which he would choose to play for whenever the two sides might meet.
26. I remember a family holiday in Spain and being told that a famous and quite mad artist (Dali) lived near by and being both puzzled and impressed by this.
27. I remember Clodagh Rodgers.
28. I remember putting a penny in the slot of a machine in a seaside arcade to see a bear drinking from a glass of beer.
29. I remember I’m a mole, I’m a mole, and I live in a hole.
30. I remember bob-a-job.